Sharks take lead in Western Final against Blues with OT win in Game 3

Sharks take lead in Western Final against Blues with OT win in Game 3

ST. LOUIS — Erik Karlsson scored 5:23 into overtime to give the San Jose Sharks a 5-4 win against the St. Louis Blues in Game 3 of the Western Conference Final at Enterprise Center on Wednesday.

Timo Meier shot, and after it deflected off Blues defenseman Colton Parayko, Meier got the puck to Gustav Nyquist, who passed to Karlsson for his second goal of the game.

The play was not subject to video review.

“I didn’t really see it,” Karlsson said when asked if he saw a hand pass. “I thought [Gustav] got it right in front of the net there, and I just kept myself available.”

Logan Couture scored for the Sharks with 1:01 left in the third period to tie it 4-4.

San Jose took the lead in the best-of-7 series. Game 4 is at St. Louis on Friday.

Joe Thornton had two goals and an assist for the Sharks, and Martin Jones made 28 saves.

David Perron scored two goals, Parayko had three assists, and Jordan Binnington made 27 saves for St. Louis.

The Blues twice rallied from down two goals. They fell behind 2-0 in the first period and 3-1 early in the second.

Alexander Steen scored for St. Louis at 1:18 of the second to make it 2-1, but Thornton scored his second of the game 18 seconds later to make it 3-1 at 1:36.

It was Thornton’s first multigoal game in the NHL playoffs in his 176th game.

The Blues scored the next three goals. Vladimir Tarasenko made it 3-2 at 4:05 before Perron tied it 3-3 at 16:03 and put the Blues ahead 4-3 at 18:42 with St. Louis’ first power-play goal in nine games.

Karlsson scored his first goal in 32 games and gave the Sharks a 1-0 lead at 13:37 of the first period. He had not scored since Dec. 29, 2018.

“We stuck with it today,” Karlsson said. “They battled a little bit harder than we did, we didn’t really have it. I think we had a good first period and then we kind of stepped off the gas a bit.”

Thornton scored at 16:58 to make it 2-0 after winning a loose puck in the Blues zone.

St. Louis defenseman Vince Dunn left the game in the first period after he was struck in the mouth by a Brenden Dillon shot.

Read More


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here